globalchristendom

Anonymous asked:

orthodoxy is essentially the first form of Protestantism

varangoi answered:

oh ok

globalchristendom:

affiler:

dogetalpapist:

sentimental-slop:

lol what dope are you smoking

I’m considered a radtrad by most on here, but even I don’t believe anything like this.

This is a thing?? Someone spoke this thing?

What does this even mean? Orthodoxy is the first protestantism in that…?

I suppose they mean Orthodoxy is like Protestantism in that it split off from the Western Roman Catholic Church. Aside from the fact that the splits were different in nature (the 1054 Great Schism resulted from a mutual excommunication between a prominent Catholic cardinal of the Western churches and the Patriarch of the Eastern churches over a number of differences in theology and practice, whereas the Protestant reformation started as an attempt at reform within the Catholic Church that turned into another branch of Christianity), the vast doctrinal differences make the characterization of Orthodoxy as a “form” of Protestantism just plain incorrect.

Copts and Head-Coverings

A survey by the University of Michigan showed that 81% of Christian Egyptians (who are mostly Orthodox) are accepting of women not wearing a head-covering. The other 19% feel a loose head-covering or a head-covering that conceals the hair and neck is the most appropriate. Many Coptic Orthodox women do wear (for lack of a better term) hijabs in their everyday lives outside of church.

(Photographer: Sarah Lynch, Washington Times)

(Photographer: Maryse Farag)